If you are an exporter, you need to be aware of the following before you start exporting goods from the UK to the EU after the Brexit transition period.
These include EORI numbers, commodity codes, export declarations, and export licenses.
We discuss them below.
To export goods out of the UK, you will require a UK EORI number beginning with GB or XI. Please note that you will also need the EU EORI number for the European business you are exporting to. The business you are exporting to will need to apply for one in its own country in case it does not have one already. For this, you will have to contact all businesses you export to in the EU and ensure that they have their respective EORI numbers ready. You may also need your own EU EORI number if you wish to move goods to your own warehouse in the EU.
It is crucial to ensure that you use the correct commodity codes as the importer in the EU will need to pay tax and duty on what is being exported to them.
The government suggests hiring a customs broker, freight forwarder or fast parcel operator to make customs declarations.
- What if you are making declarations yourself?In case you are making declarations yourself, you will need to register for and use the National Export System (NES) – which lets you make declarations electronically. However, you will need something known as a CHIEF badge role.
- Are there any other ways of making the declarations?Yes. You can make export declarations via the web, e-mail, or a software.
- What do you need to make web declarations?You need a Government Gateway ID and password for your business to make web declarations.
- What do you need to make declarations using e-mail?You will need a standard e-mail server (SMTP) and CHIEF-compatible software to make declarations via e-mail.
- Are there any other alternatives to make declarations?Yes. You can even use a Community System Provider (CSP) to make declarations.
To access the system, you can use your own import/export software and use the provider’s CHIEF registration. However, you may have to pay a fee for using it.
You need to ensure that you have export licenses in place before you start exporting since some goods require this. Additionally, there are some rules specific to tobacco, alcohol, certain oils and controlled goods which need to be followed.
Need More Help?
Lanop Business and Tax Advisors love helping new startup businesses succeed. We provide comprehensive services from Company formation, support with raising finance, opening bank accounts, and developing business plans to monthly management accounts to help make key business decisions and meet all the requirements for a successful startup, and we have helped numerous companies.
Our experienced financial consultants proudly serve in Putney, Harley Street, and Battersea. Our physical offices are in Southwest and Central London. Whether you require financial consultancy, assistance with tax matters, accounting solutions, or strategic business advice, our experienced team is here to support you every step. We value the trust you have placed in us and are dedicated to fostering long-term relationships built on professionalism, reliability, and exceptional service.