What is a Corporate Tax Residency and What Information Do Entities Need to Provide?

How To Decipher HMRC’s Legal Letter?

What Is The Concept Of A Corporate Tax Residency?

Corporate tax residency is a concept used by the UK government to determine whether to treat businesses operating in the UK as residents on non-residents.


Which companies are treated as UK residents?

Generally, UK incorporated companies are treated as UK residents.

Additionally, companies incorporated overseas are also treated as UK resident provided their central management and control is situated in the UK.

The general rule of thumb, therefore, is that an incorporated company will be considered a tax resident if the place of highest form of control and direction over a company’s affairs (as opposed to day to day decision making of the business is in the UK.


Which Companies Are Not Treated As UK Residents?

For the purposes of UK domestic tax law, companies’ resident in the UK under domestic law but treated solely as residents in a different country under the Double Taxation Treaty with the UK are not treated as UK residents.


What Information Must The Newly Incorporated Companies Who Have Not Yet Filed A Corporation Tax Self-Assessment Tell The HMRC?

All such companies should tell the HMRC:

  1. the name and address of each director and shareholder
  2. the reason a company believes it is a resident of the UK (guidance is attached in the international manual at INTM120030)


How can Limited Companies or Partnership apply for a Certificate of Residence?

  1. A limited company or partnership can apply for a Certificate of Residence by filling the RES1 form.


What information should the Limited Companies provide to fill this form?

The company needs to provide the following information to fill this form:

  1. Address and Unique Tax Reference (UTR) of partnership or company
  2. Reason for the certificate application
  3. Type of income the certificate is required for
  4. The past period for which the certificate is required
  5. The ‘other country’ that requires the certificate
  6. From the double tax treaty with the ‘other country’
  7. The article number dealing with the type of income
  8. Whether the income must be subject to tax or liable to tax

You will also need the company tax office ID, UTR, and an explanation stating why you believe the company is UK resident (if this is for a new company before its first Corporation Tax return is submitted)

The company form can be emailed to contactus.largebusinessscotlandandni@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk or posted to  MUID 854, Large Business S0862, HM Revenue & Customs, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ.


What information should Partnerships provide to fill this form?

If you are completing the form for partnership you must also have the following:

  1. Full name, address, and UTR of the Managing Partner
  2. Full names, titles, and residency status of all partners

The partnership form must be sent to

Pay As You Earn and Self-Assessment

HM Revenue and Customs


To learn more about Certificate of Residence, read our article on How to Apply for a Certificate of Residence


Need More Help?

Just fill in your details here if you need help in dealing effectively with HMRC Tax Investigations. Checks or wish to discuss some other matters.   

Lanop Accountants and Tax Advisors for Small and Medium Businesses  

Our Chartered Accountants and Tax Advisory team are proud to serve as your local financial experts in Putney, Harley Street, and Battersea.   

Our physical offices are in Southwest and Central London; we have expanded our reach globally, catering to a diverse clientele. To ensure uninterrupted service, our dedicated staff has seamlessly transitioned to remote work, utilizing Zoom accounts to connect with clients across the UK. This virtual approach allows us to deliver personalized assistance regardless of geographical barriers. Our commitment to excellence remains steadfast as we strive to provide comprehensive financial solutions tailored to your unique needs.  

We have extensive knowledge in XERO Accounting and provide expert guidance and support as trusted business advisors within the Wandsworth Borough.  

Whether you require assistance with tax matters, accounting solutions, or strategic business advice, our experienced team is here to support you every step of the way. We value the trust you have placed in us and are dedicated to fostering long-term relationships built on professionalism, reliability, and exceptional service. 


Get In Touch

Address: 389 Upper Richmond Rd, London SW15 5QL, United Kingdom.

CEO of Lanop

Aurangzaib Chawla

At Lanop, I am providing my services as the Managing Partner and Tax Specialist. My expertise includes helping medium and small-scale businesses in their accountancy and legal requirements, business start-up support, strategic review, payroll system review and implementation, VAT and tax compliance to cloud accounting. I am also an expert in financial reporting, identifying and monitoring risks, strategic business development, client retention, market acquisition and deals closure by carefully planning my sales cycle. 

We are here for you

Stay connected with us

Free Consultation Call

Book A Free Call Worth £100

Enter Your Name & Email Address for a Free Consultation